Monday, February 11, 2013

Aligning goals with my course


As shown in the video level 3 teachers should make sure that goals in their mind are aligned with the assessments so that students have clear idea that what is required of them. If the course is unaligned then students will lose their interest and only focus for exams. Blooms taxonomy clear define these goal in six categories and help teacher’s to define their interest and align assessments accordingly.

As a teacher I follow the same strategy of a level 3 teacher and try my best to align the assessment with leaning outcomes (course goals). At that start of each course I provide clear course outline to the students in which I explain them that what they will cover in the course and what is required out of them. I focus more on understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating and creating rather than remembering. This provide students more opportunity of learning by doing.

For example when I teach leadership topic in Management and Leadership course my interest is that students should be able to describe, classify, compare between different types of leaders. I engage students by giving them class activities where they have to use these concepts and skills.

Students can demonstrate their progress after completion of each learning outcome. In my case I make sure that there is some type of assessment graded or ungraded at the end of each learning outcome and this assessment is aligned. For example at the end of leadership topic students have to interview a manager to learn his leadership style. After the interview students have to describe the manager, classify his leadership style and make a comparison.

After the assessment I provide feedback to the students and point out the shortcoming and mistakes so that they can understand how they can improve and do better in the next assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment