Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Letter to a New Teacher


Dear Teacher,

I would like to congratulate you for choosing teaching as your professional career. I hope you will love and enjoy your new position as an IT / Business Faculty. Like you I have started my career as teacher just four years back and since then it’s a great journey. I believe that I have learned more then what I have taught during this period. An advantage of being a teacher is that every day is full of adventure and challenges, you will get endless opportunities to learn new things from your students and colleagues. Today I want to share my experience with you so that you don’t do same mistakes as I did and hopefully have a good beginning.
I started my teaching career as a traditional teacher because this is the only way I knew at that time. I went to class and presented my lecture and expected that students will listen to my boring lecture for next 60 min and digest everything but soon I realize that it’s not working and the students learning style has been change. Thanks to new technology students have more knowledge as compare to 20 years back they all are connected to virtual word through their iPads, Smart phones and Laptops. Students are performing multiple tasks inside the classroom and as teacher you need to make sure that you grab their attention and for sure the boring slides will not help it. You have to make sure that when you are teaching it’s not only one way communication. You need to make activities which will involve students and make sure that they will participate in the learning process as well.
I have learned many different teaching strategies in last two years like (DI) Direct instruction, (IL) Interactive lecturing, (CL) Collaborative learning and (PBL) Project base learning. What I have realize is that you cannot just pick one of them and follow it in a particular course you need to use a mix of these strategies according to situation. For example if you are teaching some definition which require student to remember and understand then DI and IL are best strategies but if you require them to analyze, evaluate and compare things then the other techniques will suit more.
As a teacher you have to clearly define the goals and expectation of a course to the students at the beginning of each course. You should provide them course planner which include the learning outcome on weekly basis and also an assessment schedule with its breakdown. Your assessment plan should be align with learning outcome and your expectation of students otherwise students will remain confuse in your class and will focus on material which is related to exams only.
Always make sure that you listen to students and provide them guidance whenever required.  Make a friendly atmosphere is classroom. If you become too strict student will be afraid and never ask you question also if you are very lenient they might take advantage and not pay attention at all. You have to follow a mid-way approach.
You should always keep the learning door open as you will learn many new things from your students for example last week my students showed me how to use an iPad for writing online books. You should take advice and guidance from colleagues as they are in this field for many years also be ready to share knowledge and your expertise with other. In some cases you can observer your colleagues inside classroom and learn how they manage students and how you can adopt this strategy.
When assessing students make sure that that you use both summative and formative type of assessment. Do not make the course too much theoretical that it become boring, provide students activities which are relevant to real world example. Make these activities as graded activities so students will have more interest.
Hope this letter has provides you meaningful experience and will help you in your career. Above all always be happy and enjoy whatever you do .

 

Regards

 
Owais Tariq

No comments:

Post a Comment